Sunday, August 12, 2012

3rd week--

There were many firsts this week: First week of classes, first time we had beautiful weather, and my first time getting really lost. Like... really lost.

Let me start with my classes- This semester I am only enlisted in classes for international students, as I am still adjusting to the language. I am taking four classes this semester: Spanish language, Uruguayan culture, Uruguayan literature, and Thinking in Latin America and Uruguay. I like all of my classes, except perhaps one, and my professors are all really nice. They even slow down their pace a little bit for us while speaking, which I appreciate. Already, we have learned a lot about the culture, history, and language of Uruguay and Latin America.

In addition to starting new classes, we finally started to have nice weather! I hope it will last, as the rise in temperature lead to plenty of time spent outdoors. I spent this time under the sun writing, eating in the park, and riding bikes along the Rio. Friday was the most gorgeous day. On Fridays, my friends and I don't have class, so we decided to take advantage of our free day and the lovely weather. After attending a tango exhibition at the famous Teatro Solis in the morning, we grabbed some Chivitos for lunch, and meandered around the streets of Ciudad Vieja. Then, we headed for the Rambla. We spent hours walking down the Rambla, along the coastline, stopping occasionally to play on a playground or admire the Rio de la Plata. We finished the day with the best chocolate ice cream I think I've ever eaten, ever. The day was truly a treat! A blessing, if you will.

Then there was that time I got lost... On Tuesday, after a fun day of exploring and ice cream on the beach, it was time for me to make my way back to the University for my first day of Literature class. Unfortunately, this meant figuring out which bus to take, which stop to get off at, and then walking to the University alone. My friends helped me pick a bus, I boarded, and then departed from them to start this soon-to-be adventure. I asked the bus driver (in Spanish) to let me know when to get off at a certain street because I needed to go to la Universidad Católica. He answered (in Spanish), "You'll have to walk a ways..." But I didn't mind. When we got to the stop I asked (in Spanish) which way to go and he said (in Spanish) "a la izquierda," which translates, "to the left." So, I proceeded to walk to the LEFT. And I walked...and walked...and kept walking... for thirty minutes. Everything looked familiar, so I wasn't too worried. But then I realized that I was walking towards home, in the opposite direction of the University! By this time, class had started, and I had no idea which bus to take or where to get off. I ran into a pharmacy and said to the lady at the counter (in Spanish), "Hi. I'm from the United States, and I'm really confused! Can you help me get to the University?!" She was so nice, and wrote all I needed to know on a piece of paper. After another bus ride, a confusing conversation with the bus-ticket-man, and a little more walking, I finally made it to class. It was quite the learning experience to say the least. I should have told my professor that I was simply taking the scenic route...

I can't believe that next week marks a month of my time in Montevideo. Time is already flying!

Espero que todo este bien con ustedes. Los extraño mucho. Siempre están en mis pensamientos y oraciones./I hope that everything is well with you all. I miss you all a lot. You are always in my thoughts and prayers.

Abrazos,

Courtney



1 comment:

  1. My favorite line: "The day was truly a treat! A blessing, if you will."

    ReplyDelete