Sunday, August 26, 2012

5th week--

If I could choose two words to describe this week, I would pick “change” and “sweet.” Upon reflection, I have found that these two words sum up my experiences this week in more ways than one.
Change. Well for one, the weather changed drastically this week. I don’t mean one simple switch from one type of weather to another. I mean multiple changes. The week started out cold and windy, as most winter days here tend to feel. However, on Wednesday and Thursday the weather was so warm and wonderful that I wore a short sleeve shirt. That’s a first in Montevideo! On Thursday it was almost 80 degrees; I really could not believe it. Then came the rain… and Friday was back to the numbing cold. But my friends and I took delight in those two rare, warm days.
Which brings me to the word sweet. Due to the warm weather, my exchange student friends and I spent every minute we could outdoors. We savored the sweet surprise of the sun with lunch in the University courtyard. Thursday was the sweetest day of all. After our meal outside, a small group of us walked through the traffic to Parque Batlle—a small park near the University. At the park, we bought and ate practically the best dessert I have ever eaten: Churros (más o menos fried dough with sugar) filled with dulce de leche (más o menos caramel, but a million times tastier and more addicting). Heads up: I may be twenty-five pounds heavier when I return…
Furthermore, this weekend I experienced a more profound change than the weather and more sweetness than dulce de leche churros can ever offer: a change of heart and the sweetness of God’s amazing love. I attended a Catholic retreat offered by my University in the hopes of meeting new Uruguayans who genuinely loved the Lord and His Word. The retreat exceeded my expectations. I entered into a group of about thirty Uruguayan students, from the ages of 18 to 26, with my friend Lindsay from North Carolina. The Uruguayan students and staff welcomed Lindsay and me without hesitation. I was overwhelmed by their kind and sincere hearts, not to mention their patience—so much patience—with our Spanish.
Not only did I meet wonderful people as I had intended, but I also met Christ on a deeper level. Although I had been on many retreats throughout my youth, I enjoyed experiencing this retreat as an adult. I found that I was able to reflect more intensely on my personal relationship with the Lord in my daily life. Through writing down my thoughts and prayers, I unmasked several characteristics or tendencies in my life that I hope to change (there’s that word again). Oftentimes, revealing such things, especially about myself, feels uncomfortable. But the first step to recovery is always recognition and acceptance of the problem, right? During my time in prayer and reflection, I also discovered/re-discovered many blessings in my life. My entire life I have been surrounded by people who have helped me to walk with the Lord, people who have taught be how to become a better person, and people who have held me accountable when I have veered off the right path. I have been blessed with a Father who has conquered sin and death by His death on the Cross. I am, without a doubt, so thankful.
I have really come to realize this week that some of what I believe might seem truly crazy to some people: that God, Creator of all things, came to earth as a man and taught, and preached, and formed a Church, and gave His Body and Blood, and died on a Cross, and rose again on the third day in order to save all of mankind from sin and certain damnation. I guess since I have always believed it, I have never thought of it as 'crazy' before. However, when I read what I just wrote, it does sound like a crazy notion! But I am happy to be ‘crazy’ and to believe in this ‘craziness’ because, after serious reflection, years of study, and a bucket full of faith, I believe it is the truth. This retreat helped me to grow in appreciation for the crazy sweetness of my Lord, my faith, and the Church.
As I was leaving the retreat house tonight, I went up to a nun, who had been preparing the meals for us throughout the weekend, in order to thank her. After I kissed her on the cheek goodbye (which, by the way, is a custom I want to bring back to the states…), she held my shoulders and spoke in Spanish saying, “I know hardly any English, but I do know how to say one thing: ‘God bless you.’” So now I want to leave you with this: although I don’t know a lot of Spanish (yet), I certainly know how to say one thing—Dios te bendiga.
Until next week,
Courtney
 

No comments:

Post a Comment