Sunday, September 30, 2012

10th week--
 
10th week!? Happy double-digits!
 
A whole slew of cosas happened this past week. ('Cosas' is the Spanish word for 'things.') Cosas just sounds so much more pleasant than things, and it's quite difficult to choose a satisfactory English synonym for 'things.' I wonder what my professors back at home would think if I began inserting Spanish synonyms into my assignments. It doesn't seem like the right cosa to do...
 
I'll begin with Tuesday. Nobody likes Mondays...
 
On Tuesday, at my community service group, my partners and I started making slideshow-picture-movies with the boys. We used little stories broken up into short scenes that the boys had written themselves. We introduced them to the 'sports mode' on the camera, and then we would act out the story as the camera clicked away. The boys loved it. It was so great seeing the group, ages 9-13 (roughly), get so excited about the project. One boy in particular nominated himself and accepted the role of director. The next thing I knew he was spewing out ideas faster than you can say "rápidamente!" I could feel a smile creeping onto my face as I witnessed the boys' ever-increasing joy.
 
Afterwards, I was blessed with an hour and a half break during which I read some of the book Justice by Michael Sandel. (I'm getting ahead for senior Core...) Around 2 o'clock, I began to make my way through the city in order to join my Cultura Uruguaya class at the Palacio Legislativo—one of my favorite places in Montevideo. When I arrived I did not see anyone in my class, so I proceeded to read my book on one of the huge, stone steps of the Palacio. I couldn't help but chuckle a bit when I thought, "How fitting! Reading Justice at the Legislative Palace!" In fact, at that very moment, one of the two chambers was meeting to discuss the legalization of abortion in Uruguay. My heart was heavy, as the fundamental 'right to life,' throughout all stages of life, is something very dear to me. Luckily, the chamber's discussion was open to the public, so after a tour around the Palace with my class a handful of us went into the room to listen. Although it may sound silly, because I was not doing anything except listening (and trying to translate), I felt like I was a tiny piece in a part of Uruguayan history.
 
Moving on to Wednesday...I had my FIRST TEST EVER in Uruguay. School is really starting to pick up. I have a paper due tomorrow, my second test on Tuesday, and a presentation at the end of the week. Tomorrow I will also be assigned a book to read, on which I have to write a 7-10 page paper. When my professor first started telling us, I thought she was going to say seven...hundred words. Nope. Who was I kidding?! Anyways, I think the first test went pretty well, and I hope the ones to come follow suit.
 
On Thursday the weather began to warm up, and, starting with a walk around Parque Rodo, I began a weekend of outdoors and exercise. On Friday my host-padre, host-sister and I went to the gym for Uruguayan spin-class. Spin-class may be one of my favorite forms of exercise: biking, strength, endurance, music (I sneak in a little dancing)...it's a little bit of everything! When the instructor began the class with Moves Like Jagger by Maroon 5 on full-blast, I knew it would be a great class—I was not disappointed. We returned to the class on Saturday, with sore bodies which would only become sorer. My  (real) dad and I used to do spin-class during the summer at 5:30 in the morning. These classes reminded me of time spent with him. Miss you dad! As for waking up at 5 a.m. in the summer...I miss that not so much...
 
Today, Sunday, my host-sister Sabrina and I caught the bus to the feria (flea-market type cosa) in Parque Rodo. We weaved in and out of the aisles and the people in search for the perfect shirt for Sabrina. While she tried on clothes in one station, I had a nice conversation with the owners. Meeting nice, random Uruguayan locals has a top-spot on my list of 'Favorite Cosas To Do In Uruguay.'
 
The weather was phenomenal, so when we returned I decided to go for a run down the rambla. This, too, has a spot on the aforementioned list. I consider myself a 'people-person,' but sometimes even 'people-people' need alone time. Running on the rambla is my treasured time to myself. Usually, after I run, I walk down to the beach. I could not ask for a better place to cool off, relax, and reflect. I love basking in the sun while admiring the Río and the city's buildings in the distance. My heart fills with thankfulness, as I realize just how truly blessed I am to be studying in a foreign country and to be surrounded by such a beautiful setting. 
 
I ended my week with Mass and with a young adults group afterwards. The people within the group are wonderful—always including me and never failing to be patient with my Spanish. I hope to grow in these relationships throughout the year. I know the Lord led me to this group for spiritual support and friendship. I am forming a little parish family, which is something so comforting to me. Praise God!
 
In other random news: I received my first care-package and letter! (P.s. the international mail service was apparently on strike for the past three months...but now it's not anymore!) Bring on the peanut butter! Kidding...kind of...
 
Hasta pronto,
 
Courtney
 

Bikes, pre-spin class. (Post-spin class pic not available to the public...)
 
Bus, pre-feria. The wheels on the bus go round and round... ♫♪


No comments:

Post a Comment