Sunday, September 2, 2012


6th week--
Happy septiembre!
So many things have happened this week; I don’t even know where to begin! I think a list will do.
1.       On Monday I went with my Spanish Language class to a museum of a poet named Juan Zorrilla de San Martin. It was quite interesting, and his house was beautiful! What was even more beautiful was the area of Montevideo surrounding his house/museum. The museum was located in an area called Punta Carretas. The view of the river is simply breathtaking. Because I arrived a half an hour early, I sat on a bench along the rambla enjoying the silence and taking in the scenery. I then moved under a palm tree to snack on an apple and read. I truly felt so blessed and caught myself thinking, “I actually get to live here!?”

2.      On Tuesday I completed my first day of community service. I am working at an institution for underprivileged children with a group of 8 boys and 1 girl between the ages of 4 and 13. I loved working with the kids. It was more of an introduction day, with plenty of games—and the children could not have been more welcoming. Within two minutes the little girl was hugging all over me, and within thirty I had a boy begging for a piggy-back ride. The boys were all so interested to learn about where I was from, and they jumped at the opportunity to explain different Spanish words to me. I find it thrilling to see how kids are just plain ol’ kids in every country—even if they speak a different language, live in a struggling economic situation, endure a difficult family life, etc. I saw this in the Dominican Republic as well. Although I may need to dig a little deeper to see it in some children, at the very core of a child I have always found a sense of innocence and a thirst for love. Next Tuesday we will teach the children how to make flip books. The ultimate goal for the semester is to have the children create their own story and then turn it into a short, stop-motion film. This should be interesting with a bunch of boys! I am excited.

3.      The weather this week (particularly this weekend) was incredible. On Friday my friend Alyssa and I spent the entire day outdoors. We walked around park, Parque Rodo, and spent hours talking on rocks that jutted out into the Río de la Plata. We then moved to the sand to continue our conversation and catch up on some reading. Saturday was another day spent under the sun. Alyssa and I went to the feria Villa Biarriz, which is kind of like a HUGE farmer’s market. There is everything from fresh fruit, to clothing, to jewelry. It was pleasantly overwhelming. After purchasing a delicious ice cream, I sat with my friends along the rambla admiring the river, the sailboats, and the city. Today I enjoyed the rambla once more while running with my host sister. I can’t wait for the weather to be permanently so nice.

4.      On Saturday night I went to a live, interactive theater production on a bus. If it sounds weird to you, it was. But also quite fun! I felt like I was in a dream, because I could only understand maybe 20% of the storyline and everyone was speaking so quickly and dramatically. It was comical though—one of the actors led me onto the “stage” and began to dance with me. He started to talk to me really fast and then looked at me as if expecting a response, and I met him with: “I am from the United States, and I’m not able to understand anything.” I think I can add it to my list of “the most interesting/odd things I have ever experienced." Top ten, easily.

5.      I have really felt the warm-heartedness of the Uruguayan people this week. On Monday, within about two hours, three people asked me where I was from. Two of those times, I hadn’t even said anything to tip them off with my accent. I guess I just looked very American that day! The first man asked me as I was walking out of my apartment complex and he was getting his mail. He told me he was learning English and would love to help each other out with the languages. The next person was a girl who was on my bus on the way to the museum. When we got off, she stopped and asked if I needed help getting to a particular place. She then walked the whole way to the museum with me, asking me about my life here and in the U.S., and then explained to me (without me even asking) how to get back after my tour. A few minutes later, when I was sitting on the bench on the rambla, an older man was jogging by and back-tracked to ask where I was from. After telling him why I was here, he asked, “Do you need anything?” Just because! How very nice. Furthermore, tonight at Mass I was asked to help with the collection. Another lady was helping, and when we met in the back she said something to me rápidamente (quickly) in Spanish, so I had to explain to her that I only know “un pocito” (a little) of the language. After Mass she came up to me and asked me where I was from, where I was studying, and if I had many friends. She was so excited for me! She then took me over and introduced me to another girl my age, gave me her email address, and said to contact her if I ever need anything at all. I talked to the girl for a bit, and the priest and other young people invited me to their youth group afterwards. I am going to attend next week. As I left, the same, sweet nun from last week's post sent me off with a, “God bless you.” I have really felt the Lord putting these people, and more, in my path. He seems to know exactly what I need, and I am forever grateful.
I hope all is well with you all in the States. Know how much I am praying for you and miss you. OH! And enjoy your Labor Day! I will be celebrating by attending class. Apparently, Labor Day is only an American holiday…  
Muchísimos abrazos,
Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment