Sunday, September 16, 2012


8th week--
 
Let me start off by saying that I cannot believe I have already been here for 8 weeks! Eight weeks in a mother's womb means that a baby has a heartbeat, has grown arms and legs, and is forming fingers and toes. Eight weeks in the movie The Parent Trap (1998 version) means Hallie and Annie have finished Camp Walden, have cut Annie's hair and pierced her ears, and have devised a plan to get their parents to fall in love again. 8 weeks in Uruguay means I have been here for basically two months! Holy cow.
 
This week's blog post will be relatively simple, because my week was just that: reltively simple. It was also quite enjoyable, as I hope this post will be for you as well.
 
I spent this week marveling at many of God's greatest gifts: nature, familial relationships, art. In doing so, I would often catch myself smiling at little things I observed: a mom with five little kids heading down to the beach, a group of old men planting trees in the park, the fact that one of those old men was wearing a kick-butt pair of Converse... I enjoyed little conversations at various bus stops with women, ran along the rambla then cooled off on the beach, and savored the most delicious ice cream full of almonds, cookies, and dulce de leche. All of these little aspects of my week, and many more, helped to make it so pleasant.
 
On Tuesday my host-parents took me for a day trip to the beautiful Uruguayan city of Punta del Este. My host-padre had to work, so my host-madre and I took the car for a spin around the coast. Punta del Este is breathtaking. In addition to the gorgeous view from the coast, there are pieces of art scattered throughout the city--la estatua los dedos, el puente de la barra de maldonado, la Casa Pueblo, etc. By the end of the day, I did not want to leave. Although I am told it is a bustling, tourist-haven type of city in the summer, on this particular Tuesday Punta del Este offered nothing but fresh air, tranquility, and beauty.
 
 La estatua de "Los Dedos."
 Handstand fail in front of "Casa Pueblo."
 
This weekend in Montevideo, I discovered more of the city. Like Punta del Este, this city has art of its own. My friend Molly and I went to the Antel tower where we took a tour to see a spectacular view of Montevideo. I loved seeing the architecture of the buildings from a different point of view. It was also satisfying being able to point out and name different places throughout the city. I felt like a native Uruguayan! Afterwards, Molly and I strolled to el Palacio Legislativo--talk about architecture! The building is magnificent. The next day my friend Alyssa and I returned to sit on its massive steps and enjoy simple conversation. It may be added to my list of favorite spots in Montevideo. The list just keeps growing...
 

Antel tower view.
 
 
 Let's hear it for el Palacio Legislativo. Hip-hip-hooray!
 
Hasta el próximo domingo--
 
Los extraño,
 
Courtney
 


1 comment: