Tuesday, December 18, 2012


Weeks 19 & 20--
I began week 19 with lots of goodbyes and lots of packing/getting things in order for my trip. It felt kind of strange because I could really feel my first Uruguayan semester coming to an end for one of the first times. Many of my friends were returning home, and my other friends and I were preparing to take the trip that we had been talking about for months.
La despedida de Lu.

Adios Leighton y Carolina!
 
Finally, Thursday came around and my friends Alyssa, Molly, Lindsay, and I boarded the bus to begin our 24-hour ride to Mendoza, Argentina. Within the first hour of the trip, our bus hit a cable, and the glass from the escape window on the roof of the bus shattered all over the floor. Classic—it wouldn’t feel like traveling if something crazy didn’t happen within the first few moments! All was well, as the drivers stopped to patch up the hole with duck tape and cardboard. Although the ‘band aid’ could not withstand the torrential downpour that sprung upon us later that night, the little mishap hardly affected the road trip. We met a wonderful Argentinean woman who recited poetry to Lindsay, watched 2 and ½ Shrek movies (in Spanish), and had plenty of time to read, chat, and sleep.

Woops...
The failed band aid.
 
End of week 19 and all of week 20--
If I described everything we did, the thoughts and reflections I had, and the sights we saw in detail in Mendoza, you would probably be ten years older by the time you finished reading this blog post. That being said, I will give you a list of some of our activities, a glimpse into a few of my thoughts, and then share a small number of pictures with you. How does that sound?
¡Muy bien! Vamos.
Mendozian activities:
1.       Bike Tour of three wineries
2.      Hiking and kayaking (and jumping of rocks into the lake) in Potrerillos—spent time with the people who owned the kayaks, talking, sharing mate (tea) and empanadas. We introduced them to peanut butter! Side note: I want to have a sharing heart like these people…
3.      White water rafting in Potrerillos
4.      Biking around el Parque San Martín
5.      Hiking el Cerro de la Gloria
6.      Museo del Pasado Cuyano
7.      High Andes Mountain tour
8.     Parque Aconcagua (the highest mountain peak in South America)
9.      Concert with cover bands—best song covered = Soda Stereo’s Persiana Americana. I knew it’d be a good concert when we heard the cover of Tina Turner’s Proud Mary as we entered.
10.  Exploring (aka, getting lost) in Salto
Some thoughts and reflections that passed through my brain and heart while experiencing the beauty of the mountains:
1.       I just feel so small!
2.      ‘Wow!’ ‘Geez!’ ‘Mira!’ ‘Thank you, Lord.’
3.      I wonder how that rock got there.
4.      Just like that rock has a place in this world, so do I. The thing to think about and strive to figure out is why I am where I am, and what my purpose is in said place. Lord, help me discover my purpose(s?) in life.
5.      Again, so much beauty and complexity. There has to be a Creator to have thought of how all of this stuff  works together. It just all... works.

I saw God in many, many ways throughout my time in Mendoza. 
In nature...
(Potrerillos)
 (Potrerillos)
(Potrerillos)
(Parque San Martin, Cerro de la Gloria)
(Puente del Inca)
(Aconcagua)
(Parque Aconcagua)
(Salto)
In my friendships, both the old and the new...
In the little things...
I actually found Him in Salto! I guess we weren't lost after all.
 
After our stay in Mendoza, Alyssa, Molly, and I continued on to Valparaiso, Chile. But that is for another post which will hopefully be posted tomorrow...
 
I could not be more grateful for my time spent in Mendoza. The times of reflection, the beauty surrounding me, and the strengthening of friendships will always be in my heart. Un poco cursi, pero es la verdad.  
 
Until tomorrow--
 
Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment