Sunday, March 24, 2013

Week 35--

Yo he estado acá en América del Sur (y principalmente en Uruguay) por 8 meses ahora! Q locura! Y todavía hay muchas cosas que quiero aprender y que voy (espero) a aprender.

^ Basically saying I've been here for 8 months and there's so much more that I want to learn and that I am going to learn (I hope).

This week was a long, but good week. I feel like things that happened on Monday happened 18 years ago... I did A LOT of things this week. Time for... (ba da da daaa!) another list:

1. Classes Monday, Wednesday-Friday. Note: no classes on Tuesday, which is random and I love it.

2. I WENT TO THE MOVIES FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 8 MONTHS! I saw the movie "Los Croods" all in Spanish. It's from the U.S.A., but I don't know the English name. It is animated, the main girl's voice is played by Emma Stone, and it's about cave people. Anyways... If you know the movie in English, I recommend it for the whole family. It reminded me of "The Allegory of the Cave," which I read in my freshman year Core class. The movie has a lovely little message to it--quite refreshing!

3. I went to the Mass in the Cathedral of Montevideo which celebrated the beginning of Pope Francisco I's papacy. I have never seen so many priests and seminarians celebrating Mass together in one place. The Cathedral was packed. It was beautiful.

4. I had a really good, long chat with my friends Nicola and Gavin about very real things... Which was so good that I thought I'd include it in this list.

5. I signed up to go on Spiritual Exercises starting this coming Wednesday night until Easter Sunday around 7 pm. It is basically like a silent retreat. I've never been on one before, but from what I understand.. We will all read a passage from the Bible or receive an image of the Lord through a story or reflection, and then we will have time to ourselves to pray, reflect, and be with God in silence. Then we repeat. We'll also have Mass and things like that I'm assuming. I've been told that we get a "buddy" for the 4 days, and we get a certain amount of time to talk out our thoughts with them... Because sometimes when you talk things out they seem more real, and also to simply have someone to talk to if I'm struggling, loving the silence, or having really great insights through prayer, etc. I'll let you all know more about it next week when I get home, but until then... I would appreciate your thoughts and/or prayers. You can be sure that you all will be in mine!

6. I "presented" a little tid bit on the retreat I went on in August to the group of freshman and new comers in the University. Yay for public speaking... IN SPANISH!

7. I went running twice this week! AND used the workout equipment on the rambla for the first time since being here! ...slow but steady wins the race...

8. Went to my friend Shanice's house to make pizza! It was sooooo good. Then we talked for hours while eating this delicious pizza (and adding in a lil' ice cream to boot!). Her roommate Katie taught me how to make apple dessert empanadas (OH MY GOSH!), and I shared this, and this, and this video with Shanice and her other roommate Nicola (the friend from number 4). I was not having the most up-beat day, but afterwards I left their apartment feeling so smiley and thankful. Like I said in my last post... It's amazing how much of a difference one person, let alone a whole group of people, can make.

9. Went to the movies for the second time in my Uruguayan life (and this week...) with my host sister. We saw "Silver Linings Play Book" with Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. It was so. good. Quite a lot of "choice-y" language, but very well done. Maybe that's why it won 8 oscars?!

10. Today I went to Punta del Este with my friends Abby and Daisy (they're housemates here in Montevideo). It was soo much fun. We met a guy from Canada who was traveling solo, so he tagged along with us for the day! We spent a lot of time at/on the "monument of the fingers" (el monumento de los dedos), which looks how it sounds. We also had a deep talk on the beach, had a scrumptious chivito lunch (thanks Abby's mom), and watched the sun set at la Casa del Pueblo at Punta Ballena. Also... On the way to Punta del Este I befriended a woman named Rosilia. She had 83 years, 12 kids, and 50ish grandchildren. She also had 2ish secrets for life... Which I wrote down in 1 notebook. The first piece of advice = that you and your husband (or wife) should agree on things that you like to do... And then to DO things together. She listed examples like go to the park, go to the movies, etc. The important thing is just DOING things together. The second = to put God before all things, and to always keep our focus on Him. Pretty wise woman I must say.

Annnnd mis amigos...that's all for now. Sorry it got a little lengthy.

Happy Palm Sunday! Happy Holy Week! And/or happy 8 months of me being here!

But seriously, 8 months?!
 
First time at el cine Uruguayo!
Punta del Este.
Mis amigas, Abby y Daisy.
El pulgar de los dedos.
Meet Jordan, our new Canadian friend.
Punta Ballena.
Incredible.
Casa del Pueblo.
Another one for you, Laur.
 
Qué todo pase bien--

Courtney


2 comments:

  1. The movie you're talking about in #2 in your list is known as The Croods. I'm glad you're still enjoying yourself and learning so much!! Miss you!
    -Chelsea Faulkner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, gorgeous photos, and aside from that, you warm my heart with your words!

    ReplyDelete