Sunday, April 14, 2013

Week 38--

Two very, very big, big things happened this week. The first, and the most important thing: MY COUSIN, DAN, AND HIS GIRLFRIEND, LYLA, CAME TO VISIT ME! The second, and less important thing (but still big): I TURNED 21 YEARS OLD! Veintiún años! Ay caramba!!

I can't properly express how thankful I am to Dan and Lyla for visiting me and for the way they treated me (like a princess) when they were here. I had SO much fun with them. We walked around the center and old parts of the city, down to the rambla, to one of the art museums, to the legislative palace, and to lots of restaurants... Although it was fun showing them around, I think by far my favorite part of the whole two days was just being with them. I felt as I had felt in Rio, in "Week 32 (belated)" -- there is just nothing quite like being with family.
My Aunt Jo wrote to me right before Dan arrived: "Nama must be so happy that Dan is seeing you...as you know, she loved it when her grandkids did things together." I have been thinking about that a lot-- about Nama smiling down on us, about the gift of being able to spend time with family here in Uruguay, and about how blessed I am to have cousins who are my best friends.

On my birthday I was graced with an overwhelming sensation of love and friendship. I was greeted with lots of hugs, birthday wishes (in English and in Spanish), and even a little "bizcocho Happy Birthday serenade" in the school cafeteria... sung at about 500 miles per hour because the candle was lit and we didn't know if we'd get in trouble... Dan and Lyla took me out to the most delicious restaurant and then surprised me with a pile of gifts and cards from them and my family back in the states, my host madre brought me a little cake in the morning while singing "Happy birthday to youu..." complete with a sweater that she KNITTED ME while I had been in Ecuador! Even this weekend, the kindness continued as my dear, new friend Josefina gave me the loveliest Mary pendent and card and my friend Shanice cooked me a scrrrrumptious dinner. Not to mention all of the love-filled emails, instagram shout outs, birthday texts, and Facebook posts I was sent...Wow. What a birthday! Muchas gracias, many, many thanks to all who made me feel so special even while I'm thousands of miles away from home.

I really couldn't thank you all enough for your continual support.

Speaking of support... thoughts and/or prayers would be greatly appreciated for this upcoming weekend-- I will be going on another mission trip to a Uruguayan department called "Treinta y Tres" with my young adults' group at church. Vamos misioneros!

Meet ya here (meaning the blog, not Montevideo... unless you'd like to meet me in Montevideo!) next week--

21 year old, Courtney


HelllaaddooOOoooo00oo. (We love each other more than it may appear in this photo).
La rambla.
Three cheers for family and friends!
Birthday buds!
We didn't let it rain on our parade... or on my birthday!
Palacio Legislativo con mi primo.
Wonderful restaurant with wonderful people.
21!

No comments:

Post a Comment