Sunday, May 12, 2013

Week 42--
 
Hello there!

FELIZ DÍA DE LA MADRE! Thank you, Madre real, for saying yes to life, for helping me grow through your constant love and support, and for singing with me in the kitchen with spatulas for microphones. I love you so much. There is no way to thank you enough for everything you do for our family.

'Como sea'... (anyways)

I survived my first real 'parcial' (test), and therefore feel like a new woman! I think I did pretty well: everything I wrote made sense in my head... I just hope it made sense on paper... Welp, one down, one more to go on Wednesday!

Once again, I studied, studied, studied a lot this week and throughout the weekend (lame, I know.) BUT my weekend studying is justified because I am trying to get everything done before: 1. I go to Buenos Aires for a quick little visit! 2. MY FRIEND SARAH COMES TO VISIT ME FOR A WEEK! So, you see, I'm not so lame...

The weather was beautiful towards the end of the week this week, so one day I took my studying to the beach. The Río was smooth, the sun was setting over the city in the distance, and I just felt at peace.  I felt that same peace on my run/walk today, as I stopped to look out into the Río. ...Such a great feeling: peace. I know you all are probably sick of hearing my say this (/reading me write this?), but these last nine months have truly been a gift and blessing from the Lord. I am starting to recognize that more and more as I feel the end beginning to sneak up on me. I feel like it's lurking behind me... and that, my friends, is an unpleasant feeling.

'Como sea'... (pronounced co-mo say-a)

My Uruguayan friend Marce and her brother Martín took my friend Lindsay and me to a fútbol game yesterday--Peñarol vs. Progreso (two Uruguayan teams). I still had never been to a soccer game here, which is practically a sin, so I was pretty excited! Marce es una fanática de Peñarol--she looooves Peñarol, as does 55% of the country, according to Martín. Apparently 55% of the country is loyal to Peñarol, 40% to Nacional, and the remaining 5% is divided amongst all of the other Uruguayan professional teams. Progreso was one of those "other Uruguayan professional teams." Poor guys... they practically had a handful of fans compared to Peñarol's roaring crowd.

Martín explained to Lindsay and me that fútbol here is like salvation for many little Uruguayan boys. Many play with the dream of becoming a professional in order to earn money for their families. He also talked a lot about the "extras" that now come with the game: now it's not just soccer, the love of the sport...unfortunately, nowadays, fútbol is a lot about the money-- which is why, according to Martín, Uruguay doesn't play so well against countries like Brasil or México, as those two countries have more money to put towards the game. He also explained to us that violence has become more of a 'thing' between the fans themselves. He said that there are some gangs who fight against one another in between the two cuadros (teams)--Peñarol and Nacional. I asked him what would happen if someone wore a Nacional jersey in the most rowdy fan section, where we did not sit with safety in mind (don't worry, Dad), and he said without thinking, "They'd kill him." Oh boy...

I would like to emphasis that not all fans are like ^that! There are a lot of good, peaceful fans out there! Martín was just saying that the violence does, unfortunately, exist.

SO...THAT being said, there is still a lot of good that comes with fútbol. The "coming together" of a country to watch their men play, the excitement of seeing their team play (and hopefully win), the demonstration of the players to young boys that hard work and determination can help you achieve your goals... Ya know, things like that! It was also so neat to hear everyone singing and chanting and clapping in unison, showing their passion for Peñarol: ♫♪ "Peñarol es así, el orgullo de todo el país..." ♪♫

One more thing that Martín said that caught my attention: "Todo el mundo juega fútbol en Uruguay. Si no jugás, es como no sos hombre." "(Everyone (male) plays soccer in Uruguay. If you don't play soccer, it's as if you aren't a man.)" Woa. I'll just let that one sink in for ya... Iiiiiii don't know about that one... It's like my host-mom said, "That's like saying that real men don't cry..." With which I am also not in agreeance. I don't think Martín was being literal, just trying to paint a little picture: In Uruguay, fútbol matters.

I also learned some cool facts about the stadium from Martín. El Centenario (the name of the stadium) hosted the first World Cup in 1930, which Uruguay won! The stadium was built in 9 months, and because it was rushed...the builders were worried that it would collapse during the World Cup game from all of the fans jumping up and down. Luckily, it didn't, and it is still standing today! "If they could build the stadium in 9 months, then you can (fill in the blank)" is apparently a common phrase heard from bosses in the workplace here in Montevideo. I also learned that there is a tower in the stadium built in homage for all those who came over from Europe for that first game. It is a "thank you" for making the journey to Uruguay, all for the love of the game.

Annnd...that's all I remember! Overall, my time watching Peñarol play (and win! 1-0) was a fun and educational experience.

Once again, Happy Mother's Day! And happy Sunday as well!

¡Peñaroooo000oOOol! --

Courtney


Amigas y fútbol.
♫♪ ¡Peñarol es así, el orgullo de todo el país! ♪♫
El Torre del Homenaje en el Estadio Centenario.

No comments:

Post a Comment