Monday, May 27, 2013

Week 44--

My apologies for not writing yesterday! I have been in Buenos Aires, and I just arrived home to Montevideo tonight... But here it is: week 44!

I LOVE BUENOS AIRES. I love the city. I love the people I know who live there. I love the time I have spent there. As I'm writing this on my ipod on the ferry, I keep looking back to catch a glimpse of what's left of the city's lights. They are becoming more and more difficult to see... No matter how hard I squint my eyes. The people behind me probably think I'm crazy. I just love Buenos Aires.

On Friday, after another long week of school, I took a bus to Colonia and then a boat to Puerto Madero in BA. I listened to these two songs as I entered into the port... Get it? River? Cuz I was pulling in on the River...? My friend Pablo (who is the brother of our family friends back at home) picked me up and took me to his family's apartment. I immediately felt right at home, as he, his wife (Tere), and I sat down for a dinner of milanesas and puré de papa at 11:30 at night (totally normal). We had such wonderful conversation--mostly about Argentinian politics and the role of the church in Argentinian government and society... Ya know, the usual light dinner table conversation...

The next day I met up with my friend Anneka from Charlotte who is studying Spanish in BA for 5 months. It was so nice to see another familiar face. We had a lovely day catching up, eating good food, and wandering about the city.

That night, I went with Pablo to meet his wife, daughters, and in-laws at their house in the country to spend the night and the rest of the weekend. Again, more good food, and SUCH good, real conversation. I officially want to read the Hobbit, as we talked about it for like an hour, and the family told me about all of the symbolism within the story and of Tolkien's wittiness.

Sunday = even more delicious food, more great conversation, and a good ol' siesta (nap) to boot! We went to evening Mass and then dinner at Pablo's family's house in San Isidro. It was so good to see all of Pablo and Tere's family, as I had spent New Years with them in December/January. What a fun, relaxed weekend, huh!?

But the fun wasn't over! Today (Monday) I went for a walk with Tere and the baby to buy some Tom-like shoes (for a fourth of the price!), then I met Anneka for lunch and more strolling. We ate SUCH good empanadas and SUCH good ice cream. I'm tellin' you guys... It might seem like I just ate the whole weekend... And I practically did. BUT the food is just soo yummy. Please add "food" to the list above ^ of "the things I love about Buenos Aires."

I was sad to leave, but I feel very blessed to know such wonderful people who live in BA, who have told me that their doors are always open for whenever I choose to return. I hope that time is soon.

Hasta luego, Buenos Aires. You've been good to me.

Saludos, che!--

Courtney

Stroll.
Bienvenidos.
Garden child.

Amigas en el parque.
Tesi (one of the cute lil' babies).
Plaza de mayo.
Camina!
To you city. To you city I love so much, to you I sing.


No comments:

Post a Comment