Sunday, November 4, 2012

15th week--

Week 15, what a week! Little logistics reminder for Skyping purposes: you all, back in the States, fell behind an hour (as I'm sure you've all realized by now...) BUT, that means we are now three hours apart (for all those living in Eastern Standard Time). Now enough with logistics...

This week started out a little insane. My 7-14 page paper on Conjugal Life and Fertility in the Uruguayan Society in the 20th Century: a Vision Through DemographicsThe Rhythm of the Clock: Uruguayan Adolescents in the 50's, and  The New Intimacy was due on Thursday, so Monday-Wednesday night was dedicated to finishing up the readings and the paper. I felt like I was back at Queens, staying up late reading/writing. But all ended well--I finished and turned it in, feeling proud for having accomplished such a task.

Halloween is not really a big thing here in Montevideo. Some participate in the 'holiday,' but I feel like those who do are definitely in the minority. While I was busy writing my death-of-a-paper on Wednesday, I heard the doorbell ring and little voices outside my window: Trick-or-treaters! I allowed myself a little treat (pun intended) and took a break to go see their costumes, talk with our neighbor, and snap some photos, of course. Happy belated Halloween everybody!

Trick-or-treaters! Prize goes to the girl on the far-left girl on the far-right is ticked.

Once my paper was turned in on Thursday, I felt so incredibly relieved. It was a great feeling to have the paper off of my mind as I entered into the weekend. Speaking of 'weekend,' let me tell you about mine. Por favor, sigue.

The re-occurring theme for this weekend = fellowship. Thursday night four of my friends and I went to two of our other friends' apartment for dinner. These two friends are here for the year with the ministry Campus Crusade for Christ. They have a team here on most of the different Uruguayan college campus, getting to know the students and spreading the Lord's Word. In addition to enjoying some delicious pasta, we also enjoyed hours of both deep and silly conversation with lots of laughs in between it all--fellowship, if you will. And the fellowship continues...

We were blessed with the most gorgeous weather this weekend. After a run along the rambla, I met my friend Molly to spend a few hours on the beach. That night she, my host-sister, and my friend Alyssa met another Uruguayan friend at a basketball game. That's right... fellowship through sports! The basketball game was *CRaZyy* Uruguayans are quite passionate when it comes to their sporting events--there was homemade paper confetti, the loudest cheering I have ever heard at a basketball game, and gigantic flags/signs. Many of the 'barrios' (neighborhoods) have their own teams here. This game in particular was a 'classico' between two of the neighborhoods 'Malvín' y 'Unión.' I, living close to Malvín, rooted for them, which seemed to work until the last quarter in which we ended up losing by 4 points. Bummer, but great experience.

On Saturday, the brother of the woman whose apartment I stayed in during my time in Buenos Aires (Pepe) invited me to an estancia in the interior of Uruguay for a little get together with some of his friends. These friends were from all over the place--Spain, Italy, Brazil, Paraguay, Argentina, and Uruguay--and they were all part of a Catholic movement called Movimiento Comunión y Liberación. We all met in San José at the estancia Finca Piedra. It was beautiful, to say the very least. We began the day with a little talk and Mass, and then spent the rest of the time enjoying lunch (I tried my first asado!), conversation, and some singing. These people whom I joined in fellowship with were unbelievingly kind and engaging. It was great to meet so many new friends, from some many different places. I also loved the intensive Spanish speaking/listening aspect of the day. Even when I sat next to an Italian  at lunch who spoke hardly any Spanish, I could pick up on a few of his Italian words. ¡¿Q divertido, no?!

The ride home from San José was just was fun--full of singing and/or listening to tunes on high-volume. When we returned to Montevideo, I met up with my friend Alyssa, and we joined these new friends at one of their apartments for some mozzarella y fainá. Towards the end of the night, we broke out the guitar and sang and danced until it was time to leave. I hope to spend more time with them all, even the ones from Argentina and elsewhere, before I head back in July. The Lord has been so good in helping me meet genuinely wonderful people, who love Him to boot!
 
 
Esta foto no le hace justicia a la belleza de San José.
 
After Mass at la Catedral this morning, I met my friend Alyssa to walk to the Feria Tristán Narvaja. This feria has everything: from clothes, jewelry, and touristy gifts to meats, cheeses, and fruits. They also sell animals there--rodents, kittens, and puppies. We enjoyed a nice little stroll through the feria, and Alyssa got some shopping done. We parted ways half-way through the feria so that I could make it home for host-family-lunch (always ravioli with meat sauce, bread, coca-cola, and dessert) which I never like to miss. 'Obvio que sí.'

The most precious of puppies at la feria, Tristán Narvaja.

Later in the afternoon/early evening, my host-sister and I made our way out to El Prado in Montevideo to Parque Rosedal. It was my first time to see this part of Montevideo, and I fell in love with it. In fact, Parque Rosedal has officially made it to my list of 'favorite places to go in Montevideo.' The park has a little area with roses everywhere you turn--not literally, but basically. I felt like I was in The Secret Garden. I read some Uruguayan literature for my 'Literatura Uruguaya' class and then spent the rest of the time playing volleyball with my host-sister and some friends (some of these friends of whom I speak are more brand new friends, yay!). Just as I started my weekend with fellowship, so I ended it with fellowship. Told ya it was a re-occurring theme!

Vóleibol en El Prado.
 
I have two weeks left of classes, three days of finals, and then school's out for summer! It has been so strange actually, as most of my friends are heading back in not-so-many weeks. I feel confident in my decision to stay here for the year, to grow in the language and as a young woman--but it's still weird that everyone is leaving! I've said this two million-trillion times already, but where the heck does the time go?!
 
Please be sure of my thoughts and prayers for you all, especially those of you affected by Hurricane Sandy. I hope everyone is safe n' sound.
 
Hasta el domingo--
 
Courtney


No comments:

Post a Comment