Sunday, December 23, 2012

Week 22--

I have now been in Uruguay for 5 months. ¡El tiempo vuela!
This week began bitter-sweetly. Bitter because all of my close friends here left to return home. Sweet because I realized how blessed these friends and I are to have helped each other grow this semester. Needless to say, I will miss them dearly.
I thought since school is out and my big trip is over I would have a truck-ton of time on my hands, but I couldn’t have been more wrong. This week was so busy! In a good way. I had (not in chronological order) a goodbye lunch and tea, a Christmas dinner with my friend Lindsay and the Anglican Church community, a friend’s graduation ceremony, and a tour of the Cathedral and other churches of Montevideo from my friend Gastón along with a quick stop in an art exhibition. On Thursday night after a ‘fin del año’ Mass at the University, my friend Lindsay and I (who didn’t leave until yesterday, but is returning. Woo!) went to a night of tango with her host-mom. We watched couples tango until 3 in the morning. It is truly an art. I can’t figure out how the tango-ers know how to move their feet around one another without falling on their faces. In addition to all of that, I finished my Christmas shopping, wrapping, and card-writing. I just want to throw it out there that I love writing and making cards for people.
Tomorrow is Christmas Eve, la Nochebuena! Here in Montevideo, Christmas is celebrated more tomorrow than on the 25th. Christmas Eve is filled with celebration--apparently people begin around midday and continue on throughout the night. A little before midnight, my host-family and I will begin our asado dinner, which is like a huge meat-fest. See for yourself! Then, at midnight, the whole world of Montevideo sets off fireworks. Then, presents. Then, more meat eating and celebration… What a day! I am also excited to go to Mass with my new church community and share the gift of the Lord’s birth with them. It hasn’t really felt like Christmas is coming, in the Uruguayan heat (it is soo hot!) without my family and friends from the U.S. of A., but it is a nice reminder that this holiday should have Christ at its center anyways.
Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.” Luke 2:10-11
Praise God!
I hope you all have a very joyful, safe, and blessed Christmas. You all will be in my thoughts, as you’re laying out cookies for Papá Noel and I’m chowin’ down on meat.
 
Les deseo una muy feliz Navidad--
 
Courtney
¡Feliz Navidad!
My Advent Calendar, graciously sent to me by the Scheaf family--one more figurine to go!
¡Estamos listos para la Navidad!


No comments:

Post a Comment