Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Weeks 23 & 24--

HAPPY NEW YEAR! WOO! 2013!

Sorry for the late blog post! My parents'/my friends were in Buenos Aires and invited me to spend New Year's Eve with them and their family, so... this blog post is late. ALSO, surprise twist! I am going to combine last week and this week together although this week is not yet over.  Saturday marks the day I leave for Quito, Ecuador, and I don't actually get there until Sunday, so... this blog post is now a blog post...s.

Christmas Eve/Christmas-- Christmas Eve, la Nochebuena, was a scorcher. Let me re-phrase for emphasis. So. Hot. ...Like To Kill a Mockingbird, Maycomb County summer without air conditioning type of hot. Early that morning, I learned that the buses stopped running due to the holiday and the family asado was beginning during Mass, so I would not be able to go to Mass on Christmas Eve. However, my host-family agreed to bring me Christmas Day, and all was well. To get out of the house a bit and avoid thinking of Christmas at home, I decided to go on a 10 mile bike ride. Casual. Despite the heat, it was nice to be in the fresh air, exercising and stopping for a bit to reflect/pray.

At night my host-family began the asado. Like I mentioned in my last post: total. meat-fest. On Christmas Eve I tried the following: 1) cow tongue 2) cow intestine 3) blood sausage. Surprisingly, the cow tongue wasn't so bad... the others were not too yummy. I know it may be childish, but I don't think I could eat any of that type of meat again simply because I know what it is. But the rest of the meat was delicious! My host-brother, Adrian, did a fabulous job grilling all of it. The poor guy was practically baking himself, with the heat of the parrilla and the heat of the air surrounding him. At midnight we all made our way outside for fireworks and some bubbly fruity drink called Fizz (or Frizz?). When the fireworks began, I felt like I was in the middle of a battle! The whole sky was lit up, and the 'BOOMs' came from all directions. I hate to admit it, but it puts the L.B.I. Bay Village 4th of July firework show to shame... Then it was time for presents! The Beloqui's kindly gave me a mug with a family picture on it and a lovely necklace. After a quick Skype call with my family, a conversation with my host-family under the stars, and a quick Skype date with David later, I was snuggled in bed ready for sleep.

I awoke Christmas Day early-ish to go to Mass. I love Christmas Mass in any language in any country--well... really I've only spent Christmas Mass in the USA and in Montevideo, but I'm assuming I would love it just the same. After Mass I tried to text my host-sister to pick me up, but my Uruguayan phone had run out of credits. I waited for her to call me, as I can only receive texts and answer calls when I don't have credits.  She sent me a text saying, "Call me when you're out of Mass" (in Spanish), soo I had no way of contacting her. I didn't know my Uruguayan number to put credits on my phone (dumb of me...you'd think after 5 months of being here...), nor did I even know if any stores would be open so that I could put credits on my phone, so I had to ring the bell of the nuns around the corner to use their phone. Embarassing, kinda. Yet another reminder of how thankful I am to have the ability to simply call in the United States, without thinking of credits. I can live without that ability (obvio), but I'd be lying if I said I don't enjoy the convenience. Is that bad? I feel weird typing it...

The rest of Christmas day was pretty much a normal day in Montevideo! Luckily it had cooled down a bit, so Sabrina and I went on a nice walk along the rambla. We were blessed with a beautiful sunset--a mark of God's presence. Before bed, I was able to Skype with my family and my friend Sarah and then later with my primas-hermanas (cousins). What a wonderful way to end Christmas Day--admiring God's beauty in nature and with the ones I love abroad.

La Nochebuena--mucha carne, familia, y fuegos artificiales.

New Year's Eve/New Years-- A few days before New Year's Eve I made my way to Buenos Aires. I was so excited to see my friends and meet more of their extended family. When I got to their house, I was welcomed by so many people! SO many kids! I loved it! I felt right at home. There was a 'no English rule,' and it was cool spending time with these friends, with whom I used to speak English in the United States, in Spanish.

We spent two nights and three days at a family farm about 2 hours outside of the city. We rode horses, ate asado both nights, and had real, profound conversation. El campo (the farm) is so peaceful. No hay prisa, las estrellas son espectaculares, y la naturaleza es hermosa--o sea, there is no hurry, the stars are spectacular, and the nature is beautiful.

Quick little story: On Sunday we went to Mass at the town's Cathedral. It was a lovely church with a very pro-family priest (it was the celebration of the Holy Family that day). At the end of the Mass we were chit-chatting with him about the homily, different statues in the church, when he had arrived to the parish, ta, ta, ta... As we said goodbye he put his hand on my head and said, "Que tengas paz." That you have peace. I will never forget that. A small blessing that made a big impact on me. That you have peace.

We rang in 2013 back closer to the city. Extended family came in and we had yet another asado (I've had 4 asado's and many a left-over-asado in the past week and a half!). An uncle brought out a guitar and we (they) sang to classic Argentinian folk music. They even threw in 2 or 3 American classics for me! The solid sense of family was so comforting. At midnight the sky was once more filled with fireworks. We watched from a balcony and hugged each other tight as the New Year arrived. As the fireworks finshed up, we made our way downstairs for a family Rosary. What a wonderful way to start the New Year.

Quick little sidenote: Their 101 year old grandmother was visiting, and boy was she a hoot! She didn't want anyone to help her stand up, she danced a little jig to the guitar, and she told us stories about the economic/social state of Argentina in the past. When we prayed the Rosary, I could not stop watching her. I could really tell that she truly believes. She was so reverent. So sure. How I pray for that type of faith! What a gift. Better than any Christmas gift I could ever receive, that's for sure.

I am so thankful for my time spent with the Solanet's and for their welcoming and generous hearts.

Mi tiempo con la familia Solanet--muchos caballos, discusiones, y paz.
 
Welp, it's off to Quito, Ecuador. I don't really know anything about my Ecuadorian family except for their names, address, and professions. I haven't been able to communicate with them because the Organization I'm going with is not authorized to give me their email addresses... imagine my face when I read that email... But, apparently they will be at the airport waiting for me with a sign! That being said, I don't know how the whole 'internet-situation' is at my house (apartment?) there. I'll update everyone as soon as I can! 
 
I am a little nervous but excited for the adventure that lays ahead. Please keep me in your thoughts and/or prayers throughout the next five weeks (or the next 7 months if you want...)
 
¡Feliz Año Nuevo!
 
Hablaremos pronto--
 
Courtney




1 comment:

  1. SHUT UP, COURTNEY WALKER. This Sears commercial is one of my greatest inside jokes of all time. I love that you know it. Cool.

    (I'm way behind on my reading)

    ReplyDelete