Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Week 32 (belated)--

This past week I traveled to Rio de Janeiro, Brasil with my host-sister to visit my cousin (once removed, but who's countin') Tim, his wife Timi, and son Taltós (we call Taltós Titu... pronounced Tee-Too).

When reflecting upon this week, one word immediately comes to mind: family. I had never met Tim or his family before, but from the moment they opened up the door I felt it--I was with my family. To add to that feeling, just around the corner sat my Gram, who had traveled all the way to Brazil to surprise me. If you know me at all, you know I cried.

I think if I had done nothing but sit in the apartment all week with them by my side, I would have been happy. I WAS WITH MY FAMILY! I haven't seen anyone from my family in seven months...without the help of a screen. But this family of mine is full of adventure-lovers, so we did not sit in the apartment all week. Also fine by me! I, too, am a lover of adventure.

My gram stayed in Rio with us from Tuesday until Saturday. I loved going around the city with her--visiting lookouts, a favela, beaches, the botanical garden, Corcovado (the Jesus statue), restaurants, a craft market, and more! At night, during or after dinner, we would talk about her side of the family. I learned so much that I had never known before. It was almost like discovering a new, little piece of myself--and I felt proud of where my family came from. Tim told me that Gram's mother had a way of making everyone around her feel special, even if someone in the crowd was a Scrooge. Gram talked about her father: how he worked his way from the bottom-->up in Ford, and then gave away a grand portion of his money to help those around him without telling anyone (including his wife, at times!). I even learned more about my Pop, Gram's husband who passed away when I was eleven. Gram says that every day, throughout their 46 years of marriage, she always knew that Pop loved her. That's a gift. Anyways... it may be one of those things that I think is so interesting because I'm related to these people, and while I'm sitting intrigued, others are snoozing Zzzzzz... So I'll stop here. But if you want to know more, I can tell ya!

New topic--I have been asked a few times this question: If you had to choose, beach or mountains, which one would you pick? That's a hard question to answer! My response is this: "Both (just to let the ask-er know that I enjoy them both), but if I had to choose... I think I'd choose the beach because it reminds me of my family, I grew up going to the beach, and I love the sound/smell/feeling of the ocean." However, the good thing about Rio is that I don't have to choose one or the other! It has both! So now my new answer is: "If I had to choose, I'd choose Rio."

Yesterday, on our last day, Sabrina and I went on a "little hike" up Pão De Açúcar (my cousin Titu climbed straight up the mountain when he was 7, and set a record for the youngest climber to climb it-- here he is... it's insane actually). Timi made it sound like it was going to be a little stroll... but no. It 'twas not, my friends. It 'twas not. We were hiking up that mountain basically bear-crawling, and stopping halfway to harness-up and rock climb. Although it was a lot more difficult than we expected, it was SO worth it. I have never done anything like it, nor have I seen a view as spectacular as the views we saw while climbing. The whole time I kept thinking... "How do you describe this to someone?! There is no word, no photo that could capture the beauty of what I am seeing right now." It was like 50 shades of blue except not like the book, I mean literally 50 shades of blue...Soo many blues all mixing together with the sea, and the sky, and the mountains. It was honestly, so breathtaking. Thank you, Lord, for this beautiful world. That's all I can say about that!

Annnnd... nowwww some photos!

Even the ride to Rio was amazing. Look at the moon!
Tim caught the surprise on camera!
Favela.
Cristo el Redentor amidst the fog.
Incredible child.
Beautiful plants in the botanical garden.
I couldn't get enough of these cactuses! Cacti? Cactie? ...tye?
The best surprise and myself.
Gram likes to climb too!
Gotta love family!
Being a bird for 10 minutes.
La playa!
For you, Laura.
Sand hand(s).
The world's kindest driver, Bira!
Timi is a GREAT cook. Great cook indeed.
New little friend and his little tongue.
Climbing!
Professional, age 8.
Climbing crew.
Hello there, Cristo el Redentor.
View from Corcovado (without fog).
La locura de las fotos.
Hike/climb up... a lot harder than we thought it would be...
Woo!
Almost there!
View from the top of Pão De Açúcar!
Cristo, el sol, y Rio.
 
Before Sabrina and I walked into the airport, Bira (our driver for the week) told me (in Portuguese, but I'm gonna type it in English) "Go with God." So now, I leave you with this  last photo above ^ and those same words: "Go with God." I hope that you discover beauty and blessings in abundance this week, as I did in Rio.
 
Até a próxima meus amigos (Google translated from English to Portuguese)--
 
Courtney


No comments:

Post a Comment