Sunday, June 23, 2013

Week 48--

11 months in Uruguay! Can you believe it!? 12 months - 11 months = 1 month... That means 1 month left in Uruguay left for this girl! Geez Luis...

This week I was siiiiiiick. I had (/still have) one of those dry, whooping, straight from the chest, can't catch your breath, feel like you're gonna burst a blood vessel type of coughs. Not very fun, to say the least. But through it all, I have been blessed with wonderful friends who have loved and taken care of me. 1. On Tuesday night I spent the night at my friend Pitu's house to work on our External Communication, Communication Plan project. All four of us girls in the group slept in one room, and I felt SO bad cuz I was just hackin' away. My friend Flor propped me up with more pillows, and they all assured me that "I wasn't keeping them up." Saints, those three. 2. On Friday night, my friends who are heading back to the U.S. on Thursday (wahh what?!!) had me and my three other friends over for a goodbye dinner/dessert/girls night. It is always so fun spending time with these ladies! Nicola, Shanice, and others even made Reeses Peanut Butter Cup brownies... sooo...yummy. After dinner, as we sat around and talked/figured out how people from different states say things differently/watched bad lip reading on YouTube, Abby rubbed my feet and Nicola my back. 3. A lady tonight at the bus stop, after hearing my voice (or lack there of) when I informed her that one of the buses had recently arrived, proceeded to tell me the ingredients for a little concoction I could make to cure my illness (honey, oil, and lemon). *These are just three of the many ways I felt taken care of this week, and I am truly so thankful that God has placed me in a city full of such wonderful people, Uruguayans and extranjeros alike!


Wonderful friends!
Girls' night!
Brownie baking!

Even the city has treated me well during my sickness! ...except for the fact that it's SO COLD, this week greeted me with blue, beautiful skies. Thanks for taking care of me, Montevideo! (Picture not in B&W so you can see how lovely the sky and colors were!)

Thank you for being beautiful, Montevideo.
 
In other Uruguayan news: Today the Uruguayans voted whether or not the law which made abortion legal back in the September would appear on the referendum in the upcoming mandatory elections (I think they're in October). Prayers that the Uruguayans choose life, for as we have seen in the United States... Abortion has disastrous consequences (1973-2008 + than 50,000 legal murders...). As the Uruguay's last president, a doctor, stated:
 
La legislación no puede desconocer la realidad de la existencia de vida humana en su etapa de gestación, tal como de manera evidente lo revela la ciencia [...] el ADN con la secuenciación del genoma humano, dejan en evidencia que desde el momento de la concepción hay allí una vida humana nueva, un nuevo ser. El verdadero grado de civilización de una nación se mide por cómo se protege a los más necesitados. Por eso se debe proteger más a los más débiles. Porque el criterio no es ya el valor del sujeto en función de los afectos que suscita en los demás, o de la utilidad que presta, sino el valor que resulta de su mera existencia.
 
Translation (I tried my very best!): The legislation cannot ignore the reality of the existence of human life during pregnancy, evident as revealed by science [...] DNA with the sequencing of the human genome, leaves evidence that at the moment of conception there is new human life, a new being. The true rank of a civilization of a nation is measured by how it protects those most in need. So it should protect more the most weak. Because the criteria is not the value of the subject depending on the affection that they arise in others, or the usefulness that they provide, but rather the value that results from their mere existence.  
 
Amen, Tabaré Vázquez, Amen.
 
I have a lot of thoughts on this, and I'll say just two (cuz as most of you know...I could go on for pages...) 1. A life is a life is a life is a LIFE, and we have to no right to deny anyone at any age the opportunity to live. 2. How come, in most U.S. states, if you kill a pregnant woman, you are charged with double murder... but if you have an abortion you are simply "exercising your right to choose"? How is the child in the womb sometimes defined as a child and sometimes not? Can we define life based on whether or not a woman wants their child to be alive...? I don't really get the rationality behind this... To me, the child is a child or it's not.

Annnnd, as I'm writing this, I just received a text from a Uruguayan friend saying that they didn't get enough votes for the law to appear in the referendum. Lord, help us.

Welp, off to bed with a heavy heart.

See you all soon!--

Courtney



No comments:

Post a Comment